The glamour of deinstall
#artlife can look pretty glamorous on instagram. To bring us all back down to earth here's a list of things I found myself doing while deinstalling Archival Alchemy.
- Take artwork off the wall
- Wrap artwork in bubble wrap
- Make videos of everyone else taking artwork off a wall
- Micromanage people as they wrapped artwork
- Ruin my manicure by peeling object labels off the wall with my hands
- Remove wall text by painstakingly peeling each letter off with a razor blade
- Rearrange said letters from wall text into positive graffiti
- Use a scrapper blade to speedily remove whole lines of wall text
- Turn removed sentences into an art piece
- Pour gallons of pickled vinegar down a slop sick
- Rip up adhesive floor tiles
- Get high on gloo-off fumes trying to remove tile-adhesive from the floor
- Fight with a Lyft driver about how to best tessellate 12 boxes (all differently sized of course) in the trunk of his car.
The beginning of the end - art handlers extraordinaires Steven Paneccasio, Sol Erez, & Ambika Trasi take down Marium Agha's A Courtier in Love - A Two Dimensional Portrait (while I make a video).
Wall text graffiti. #madebysarahburney.
Speedy removal of wall text thanks to a scraper blade.
A Jumble of Words, 2017
Vinyl letters, wall paint
Yours truly ripping up floor tiles. #blessed.
Golnar Adili deinstalling her sculpture A Spatial Study of Ye Harvest from the Eleven-Page Letter.